There are some symptoms that are telltale signs of an audiological problem, whether it be a hearing problem or issues with the inner ear. Let’s discuss some of the symptoms that there may be an issue and when you should visit your doctor or audiologist, as well as when you should seek emergency medical attention.


People do not often think of dizziness as a sign of an audiological problem, but it is. If you are experiencing light-headedness, loss of balance, and feelings of unsteadiness, it could be a sign of an inner ear problem. About 30% of the population experiences long-term spells of dizziness.

Recurrent dizziness warrants a trip to your doctor or audiologist to try and find the cause of the symptoms. Your body has a “balance system” that is made up of vision, the inner ear, and other sensory systems. Your doctor will want to rule out problems with each component of the balance system.


Vertigo is a type of dizziness. However, the word vertigo is used to describe a specific type of dizziness that makes it feel as if your environment is spinning or moving, kind of as if you were standing on something that was moving slowly. Vertigo can be made worse by changing positions such as sitting or standing up. Sometimes vertigo may cause you to be nauseous.


The most obvious sign of an audiological problem is difficulty hearing. The problem is that most people do not notice a problem in their hearing if it is very slight. The first people to notice an issue are usually friends and family members who realize that the person is not responding as usual, is talking louder, or is having trouble with certain auditory tasks.

Signs of a hearing problem in adults:

Listening to devices such as television and music louderthan normalMuffled hearing Avoiding conversation or social interactions because of difficulty communicating Difficulty understanding what people are saying.

If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, even if you don’t think it’s related to your hearing, you should still get it checked out.

It’s better to rule out any potential problems than to live with these issues and to possibly cause more damage to your ears.

Most of these symptoms warrant a visit to your family physician at the very least. However, if you truly suspect an audiological issue it would be good for you to seek out an audiologist to address the problem.

If you are having issues with hearing and understanding people, your doctor will want to run a basic hearing evaluation that consists of a few tests. None of the tests are painful in any way.

If you are having balance or vertigo issues, your doctor or audiologist will probably want to perform some balance testing that will determine exactly what issues you are having within your balance system. Knowing the exact source of your problem will help the doctor to treat your condition appropriately.